As soon as your darling toddler starts moving around, apart from shedding tears of joy, the parents set about fussing to get the right shoes so that the delicate feet of the child can be protected from the threats of the floor without comprising on the style quotient of your darling. But purchasing a toddler shoe is much more of a Herculean task that yours. You cannot afford to compromise in any quarter since your toddler is growing, developing and still lacking in coordination. Given below are some tips which should make the task easier for you –
- Correct Size – The biggest threat that a child faces is the parents purchasing a bigger size shoe than the child’s feet. The parent’s psychology behind it is to leave room for the fast future development as well as to reduce the frequency of shoe replacement. But one needs to realize that in the toddler’s rapidly growing feet, the soft cartilages are hardening into bones. It’s only the right fit shoe that can provide the correct support. Thus it’s important to get the child’s feet measured preferably from an expert. That’s why it is preferable to purchase the first shoe from a retail shop. While getting the correct size, the child should be standing and preferably wearing socks to avoid any ill fitting.
- Keep a Continual Tab on the Shoes – Young toddlers cannot verbalize their unease or discomfort with their shoes. They would probably indicate it by refusing to wear them and crying when made to wear. They should then be replaced with better shoes.
- Flexibility – Till 5 years of age, the soft cartilages of the feet are still firming up into bone. Hence the selected shoe must be flexible and allow free movement while still taking care of the required support and comfort.
- Pay Heed to the Material – Try opting for shoes made of canvas, cloth in which pure cotton is most preferred; and natural leather which are all porous natural breathing materials. They allow proper circulation of the air. It’s best to avoid rubber or plastic or other materials in which hazardous chemicals were used during production of the shoes.
- Anti-Skid Soles – As toddlers are still in the phase of learning and are often careless with their steps, antiskid soles ensure that the child is not falling down and getting hurt. A pattern or textured sole is ideal with provides the required traction.
- Ample Room for toes to wiggle – There should be some space for the little toes to move about which assist your toddler in gaining balance. Shoes need to be fitting but not overly tight.
- Padding and Arch support – These are vital for the child to get proper support.
- Light Weight – Such type shoes reduce the stress from the child’s feet.
No matter what kind of shoes you buy, you can get a great variety of shoes to select from when you shop online.